What is an unhealthy relationship?
It can be difficult to spot when your relationship is becoming unhealthy, “toxic”, or abusive but there are some red-flag behaviours that you can look out for.
Disagreements in relationships are normal but when they become frequent and begin to form a pattern, it might be a sign that something is wrong, and possibly abusive – a word that is hard for many people to think about or even say out loud.
Just thinking about these red-flag behaviours is an important first step. You’ve come to the right place to find advice!
Remember, if you ever feel uncomfortable or unsafe, it is important to talk to someone about it. If it’s an emergency, you should always call 999.
Here’s some red flags to look out for:
- Embarrasses you or puts you down.
- Controls who you see, where you go, or what you wear.
- Pressures you to do sexual things or send nudes.
- Looks through your phone and social media.
- Borrows money and doesn’t pay it back.
- Blocks you after a disagreement.
- Threatens to hurt you.
- Stops you from seeing your friends.
Every situation is unique, but if something doesn’t feel right in your relationship, it probably isn’t. This can happen in any relationship and it this isn’t your fault. You can get support here.