Feeling unsafe in a relationship
If you feel unsafe or scared in your relationship, it is important to speak to someone and get help. This could be an adult or someone at Love Respect.
Ending a relationship can be scary, especially when you are worried about how they might react. Your safety matters — if you do decide to break up the relationship it can be useful to make a safety plan. This will help you think about what to do if they threaten you or try to hurt you.
Here’s some things to think about:
- Meet in a public place where other people will be around or take someone with you. You could end the relationship via text message or phone call if you feel more comfortable.
- If you do meet, plan your journey home, and make sure someone you trust knows where you are going.
- Think about what you want to say and be clear that you want to break up.
- Don’t be afraid to seek support afterwards. Speak to a friend, family member, or you can talk to us.
- Contact the Police if you are scared.