Staying safe online
Sliding into DMs, online flirting and chatting via voice notes have become a popular way to meet new people and date online.
Connecting online with new people can be fun and exciting, but staying safe is important. Not everything is always as it seems online and sometimes people may try to trick you or use something you’ve shared to bully or frighten you.
Here’s our tips for keeping yourself safe:
- Think before you post – don’t share anything you wouldn’t want your parents, carers, or teachers to see.
- Never share personal information about yourself with anyone you’ve met online.
- If you decide to meet someone online, always meet in a public place and tell someone where you are going.
- Don’t feel under pressure to send sexual images. See our advice on sexting and sending nudes.
- Don’t rush! You shouldn’t feel pressure to move into an intimate relationship and the other person should respect that.
- If someone makes you feel uncomfortable online, seek help and block or ‘ghost’ them.